Thursday, May 21, 2009

This is my life;

Hello, my name is Jordan, and this is my life.

I live here in Cedar Falls with my dad and my stepmom, along with our two dogs and our really fat cat; and I wouldn't have it any other way. Even though we don't always see eye-to-eye, I still love them with all I've got.


My friends are honestly the people who have made my life what it is today; without them, I don't know who, or where, I would be. Whether they live in Cedar Falls or Waverly, or whether we talk every few days or every few months, they all in some way or another make up my life. :]




Since I've been here at NU, theatre has grown to become a huge part of who I am. I've been in four plays in the past two years, and each play I find myself surrounded by a great new cast full of wonderful people. I've met some of my best friends through NU Theatre, as well as had some of my best memories there too. ("Play On!" - Smitty, "Snoopy" - Choir, "I'll Leave it to You" - Sylvia, and "Murder is a Game" - Lois.)


Along with theatre, a huge part of me is devoted to speech contest. Last year we were chosen as a nonperforming group for All-State (a huge honor), and this year we received straight ones at state contest. I loveloveLOVE working with Dave and Linda Scachterle and our amazing choral reading ensemble, and I can't wait for contest next year. :] <3

This year, tennis actually became a large part of my life too. I thought I'd hate it, but it honestly was kind of...fun. Playing a sport for a change was good for me, I think; it's let me broaden my horizons a bit and helps me see outside the box.

In addition to tennis, I also joined Cyber-Defense this year - an extracurricular activity associated with preventing hackers from stealing into computer systems. It was fun, and we ended up coming back with both first and second place - not too bad at all. =]

Since 7th grade, I've been a participant in National History. It's brought me some of my best friends, and ironically, some of my highest academic honors. This year in competition I placed as a state finalist, and last year my team and I were chosen as Iowa's national alternate. NHD has taught me a lot of the skills that I use as a student everyday; plus, competing and winning is just plain fun. ;]

In addition to friends and family, not to mention school and all the activities it brings, my life also centers a lot around my hobbies, such as photography, music, and reading. I love photography, even though I'm not very good at it. Looking through the lens of a camera lets me view the world differently; especially through the lens of my trusty Holga Olga. I also love music; I can always count on a good Weepies song to describe exactly how I'm feeling. Listening to a great song lets me think and reflect about my life in a way not many other things let me do. And finally, I don't think I could live without words. Honestly, reading books has taken me so far in life - everywhere and anywhere from the mountains to the grasslands, to the deserts to outer space. A good book and a great imagination heve been my salvations, as well as some of my favorite things. =]

And finally, my life is about saying good-bye. This flower is the graduation flower given to the seniors as they walk across the stage to accept their well-earned diplomas; to me, it's funny how such a beautiful thing is meant to represent the end. Good-byes will always be sad, no matter how many times you do them; and I know that this time, they won't be any different, as we say good-bye to the seniors, to the school year, and to this part of our lives.


So, this is my life. And I want to know that I am both happy and sad, and I'm ready for whatever may be coming next.

No comments:

Post a Comment